September 30, 2012

Holding on to summer with Corn Chaat

Corn Chaat

I look at corn with new found eyes since this summer. That's because Lil A discovered corn and I found corn chaat. In one go, it satisfied both of us. Lil A likes his with lemon juice, salt and pepper. When we don't have time to grill the corn, I simply boil it and serve it with butter and salt to Lil A and he happily munches on it.

I on the other hand, douse my corn with cucumber, tomatoes, onions and pepper, liberally spice it and enjoy it in a bowl. 

I have been tweaking this corn chaat recipe over the summer. I've made various versions of it and even made it recently for a friend's baby shower and it turned out to be a big hit. 

One of the things that I found in this various versions, is that I like it with sauteed onions. Yes, instead of serving it with raw onions, I saute the onion with some green peppers and it makes the chaat milder yet delicious.
Corn Chaat

Ingredients: (serves 4-5)
4-6 corns
1 medium onion chopped
1 small green pepper - chopped
2 small tomatoes - chopped
1/4 cucumber - chopped
1 tspoon butter
2/3 tspoon cumin seed powder
1/2 tspoon red chilli powder
2/3 tspoon chaat masala
1/2 tspoon aamchur powder
1/2 tspoon lemon juice
1 tspoon oil
1/2 tspoon black pepper
salt to taste
bunch of cilantro chopped (optional)
2-3 green chilies (optional)

Corn Chaat
Method:
Heat water and boil corn till it is cooked. Or alternately grill the corn. I have tried both and it works both ways. Once the corn is boiled or grilled add in the butter, salt, pepper and chilli powder. Mix it together and set it aside.

In a pan, heat the oil and add in onions and pepper. Cook it on medium heat till the onions are translucent and take it off before they start turning brown. The peppers are soft yet crunchy.

Now take a big bowl and add in the corn, onion-pepper, tomatoes, cucumber and mix it all together. Now add in the chaat masala, aamchur powder, cumin powder, salt and lemon juice and mix it together.

Corn Chaat
Garnish with green chillies, cilantro and serve.

You could also add small boiled potatoes and make it into a hearty salad for a quick workday lunch. Yum!


8 comments:

  1. Colorful, healthy n yum

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can finish that whole bowl anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can make a meal out of this! lovely idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Soma, we've enjoyed many versions of this.

      Delete
  4. Simple yet healthy bowl of chaat...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jazzing up my boring evening by making this chaat. Thanks so much .

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than 6 years now. I love to hear from you, all your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming. I will also try to answer any questions you have in the comments.

Happy browsing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...