September 11, 2012

Sage garlic potatoes with tandoori grilled chicken

We finally got ourselves a grill this summer and since then have been grilling quite a bit over the last few months. But, I never get around to taking pictures of the food we have grilled so far, some delicious, juicy mushrooms, paneer, tofu, corn, and even some salmon. The salmon was a big hit with Lil A who had it right after we took it off the grill. But this time I did, and it deserves a post.

Before I write down the recipe for the tandoori grilled chicken, I want to talk about the potatoes I made to go with it which ended up becoming the star of the show, a perfect compliment to the spicy chicken.

I received a bunch of fresh sage from my friend recently (Thanks Sonya!) and for the longest time I had no idea how to use it. I was using a bit here and a bit there till I concocted this recipe. All the flavors just come together and balance each other perfectly.

I boiled the potatoes to save time as we were having friends over for dinner on a weekday night, but you can bake the potatoes all the way through and I am sure it will make it more crispy.

Lemony, sage, garlic potatoes

8-11 potatoes - washed, scrubbed, dried and quarted
8-10 sage leaves chopped finely
1 tspoon garlic - I used grated
1 tbspoon lemon juice
salt to taste
1/4 tspoon fresh black pepper
1/2 tspoon paprika
1/2 tspoon cumin seed powder
1 tbspoon oil


Lemony sage potatoes
Boil the potatoes with a tspoon oil and some salt.

Lemony sage potatoes
Mix all the spices together along with the remaining oil to form a uniform mixture. 

Lemony sage potatoes
Once the potatoes are cooked, mix it nicely with the spices till the potatoes are covered nicely.
Heat the oven to 250 degF. And bake the potatoes for 10-12 minutes till they start to crisp.

Lemony sage potatoes
Serve warm. 

Tandoori chicken

This is my easiest go to tandoori chicken recipe for weeknights when I am short on time. I marinate the chicken overnight and I make sure that there is some yogurt and lemon juice in the marinade. This always makes the chicken soft and tender. Paprika gives a nice color. Cooking it on the grill gives it a nice smoky taste, though nothing like cooking it in a traditional tandoor.

I have been buying my chicken at the Farmer's Market and that means I have had to learn how to cut a whole chicken. Now I feel fairly confident taking one apart and serving it to guests. :) It also means that I don't have boneless chicken at home.

1 4lb chicken - cut
1/2 cup yogurt
1 1/2 tbspoon lemon juice
1/2 tspoon fresh black pepper
1 tspoon turmeric powder
1 tspoon paprika
1/2 tspoon red chilli powder
3/4 tspoon coriander powder
3/4 tspoon cumin seed powder
1 1/2 tspoon fresh ginger grated
1 1/2 tspoon fresh garlic grated
few mint leaves torn and mixed
1 tspoon garam masala

Tandoori Chicken
The list of the spices is long but once you have the ingredients together then it is mixing it all together in a big bowl and then adding chicken pieces one a a time so they get soaked in the mix.

I also use a fork or a knife (depending what is handy) to create small holes in the chicken to absorb the mix.

Marinate for at least 6-8 hours and then cook it on the grill for 15-18 minutes turning it on sides till they are completely cooked.

Tandoori Chicken

Serve warm. We enjoyed ours with some salad, flat bread wraps and some fresh juicy watermelons.


  1. Absolutely inviting, fantastic foods..Makes me hungry.

  2. the potatoes and chicken look very good. Potatoes I am going to try

    1. Let me know how it turns out.

  3. Really that tandoori with little time can be so satisfying....Looks tempting

    1. Thanks, it turned out to be a great combination. :)

  4. I want to devour this meal! :)

    1. Thanks Cynthia! How have you been?

  5. That spice mixture sounds fab to me....tandoori chicken looks drool worthy....


Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than a decade now. We love to hear from you -- your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming.
Happy browsing.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...