October 23, 2012

Shubho Bijoya with Kalakand from scratch

Kalakand

My pregnancy brain has taken over, I'm sure! I'm told that in the last month or so, "nesting" kicks in. And here I am, instead of getting stuff ready for the new arrival in my "nesting" phase, I am standing near a stove, stirring and making kalakand from scratch at night after Lil A went to bed. What else would you call it?

The only advantage of the late night cooking session was I had all the time to stir and take pictures without being interrupted and so I have a nice pictorial for you of this recipe. :)

I didn't start out wanting to make it from scratch. I was supposed to make Bong Mom's microwave kalakand recipe. But when it was time, I realized that I didn't have even one ingredient from her recipe. So I set about making paneer/chana and then kalakand from scratch.

The kalakand was just out of this world. I cannot imagine I've not made it in before this. The soft, crumbly, grainy texture with the cardamom and saffron taste and the gentle sweetness just blew me away. I am sure to make it again and again.

Kalakand
So with this delicious sweet I wish you all "Shubho Bijoya".

Ingredients:
1/4 gallon whole milk
2-3 tbspoon lemon juice
1 can evaporated milk
1 tbspoon ghee
1/3 cup sugar (I used brown sugar)
4-6 cardamom pods - pounded to powder
few strands of saffron
4-5 almonds chopped

Method:
Making paneer/chana: Heat the milk in a thick bottomed pan and bring it to a boil. Once it starts boiling, add the lemon juice till the milk separates. Immediately strain it and tie the paneer/chana in a cheese cloth and let it hang for an hour till excess water drains.

Kalakand
Making Kalakand: Mix 1:1 ratio of evaporated milk and paneer in a thick bottomed pan. I got about 2 cups of paneer/chana and took 2 cups of evaporated milk from the can.

Heat the pan with ghee and then add the paneer and evaporated milk. Add the saffron strands and half the cardamom  powder. Keep stirring the mix on low medium heat till the mix starts to thicken.

Then add the sugar and keep stirring till it becomes a soft dough consistency and starts leaving the pan. It took me about 29 minutes to reach that consistency.

Kalakand
Spread it on a plate and spread the rest of the cardamom powder and almond bits and cool overnight.
Kalakand
  Cut and serve.

Here are some more kalakand recipes:
Bong Mom Cookbook's microwave kalakand
Manjula's kitchen kalakand

7 comments:

  1. Super delicious and irresistible kalakand, shubho bijoya to u..

    ReplyDelete
  2. We used to get loads of Kalakand from Belgaum many years ago, been some time since I tasted this. It looks so delicious

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year to you.

    Looks lovely and I bet tastes delicious. This is lot faster than making palkova and taste wise they are probably the same.

    ReplyDelete
  4. m favorite looks awesome

    ReplyDelete
  5. Irresistible kalakand .... Love the pic tutorial ... Frst time here.. Hapi to follow u...glad if u do the same...
    Http://www.subhieskitchen@blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is lovely pictorial recipe. Makes me want to close my laptop this very moment and rush to make for my diwali guests.i just needed some inspiration.

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than a decade now. We love to hear from you -- your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming.
Happy browsing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...