December 19, 2012

Quick & easy spicy pita chips

Spicy Pita chips


NOTE: I wrote this post a while back and didn't have the time to finish it. Then the two tragedies (one in the US and one in India) happened, that have saddened and angered me in many ways. It has been hard for me to find the right words and coherently write about it. I pray that we all have the strength to work through these horrific incidents. And over the next year, I hope to see significant changes in everyday social and cultural terrains -- beyond legal and policy decision -- that address these incidents. Below is the post as I wrote it.
 
How are you all? Before I could blink my eyes, Tiny M is six weeks old and Lil A is almost three. I am now carrying two little boys in my arms and feeling mighty strong. Between nursing the little one and playing cars and Thomas the train, I try to fit in cooking a little bit here and there and appreciate that my MIL is still here and makes sure we have delicious, hot food everyday.
 
In other news, Lil A has started eating chicken. Yes, he's never been a big fan. When he was little, I would mash some in his food, but as he got older, he wouldn't do it. We have been encouraging him to try it with different recipes and somehow nothing clicked till we got some chicken shawarma home. One bite was all it took!
 
Yay for chicken shawarma from Jersulam Garden. We are so excited by this and to encourage him we get it quite often. However, the entree comes with pitas and soon we had a big pile of pitas sitting at home. 
 
To tackle the pile, I decided to make some pita chips. It's rather simple, and makes for a delicious appetizer for the Holiday season. 
 
This was also a big hit in our home and I have made various versions of it, some with cumin powder, some with chilli powder and some with garlic salt. You can make your own variations too. 

Ingredients:
2-3 pitas
salt to taste
1/4 tspoon cumin powder
1/4 tspoon fresh ground black pepper
2-3 tbspoon extra virgin olive oil. 

Method:
Heat the oven to 350 degC. Cut the pita in long strips. Sprinkle the spices and then the oil on top of the pita. Then rub the spices and the oil on the pita. Make sure that each pita has some oil and spice on it. 
 
Spicy Pita chips

Arrange it on a tray and cook it for 7-8 minutes. Turn then over and let cook for another 3-4 minutes. 

Spicy Pita chips
Cool and serve with hummus, baba ganouj, and tabouli. Yum!

3 comments:

  1. I make pita chipe like this too and love it, these look so so good, yeah kids grow up so fast, Shyama is 20 now and we are like years flew.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even i do as though, love it..Definitely a crowd pleaser, yep kids grown up so faster than we imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love crunchy pita chips..how r you and kids ? .Wish you and yours a very happy new year Mandira...hugs and smiles

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than 6 years now. I love to hear from you, all your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming. I will also try to answer any questions you have in the comments.

Happy browsing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...