January 23, 2013

Vanilla cupcakes

Vanilla cupcakes

Lil A turned 3 this month! Not so little anymore. Before I realized, he is a little boy with opinions, tastes, moods and pranks. He likes interacting with Tiny M and squishing him. It's us who keep saying "gentle, gentle". Tiny M, on the other hand, is excited to see his big brother. He shows it by waving his hands, kicking his legs and now smiling.

Coming back to the birthday cake, the first two year's cakes were my choice - banana and chocolate and strawberry cake.  This year too I was thinking of a fruity cake. Not so. The instructions were quite clear from my 3-year old. "I don't want a birthday cake. I want vanilla cupcake." Not only that, he even mentioned the color of his frosting - "green" with sprinkles on them.

So off I went to figure out vanilla cupcakes with green frosting. Instead of buttercream, I decided to do whipped cream that worked out quite well. Some of it was licked from the bowl itself. :)

For the cupcake, I took the basic recipe from William Sonoma and tweaked it by adding some whole wheat flour and brown sugar in the mix. The cupcakes came out quite well. The two batches I made - one for his school and the other for the home party - were gone in no time. I can now say "I am a vanilla cupcake expert!"

Ingredients:
(adapted from: Williams Sonoma)
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
1 1/2 tspoon baking powder
1/4 tspoon salt
1/2 cup white sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
6 tbspoon (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 whole egg plus 1 egg white, at room temperature
11/2 tspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup milk (I used whole milk)

For frosting:
1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 tspoon 
12-15 drops green food color
handful rainbow sprinkles

Vanilla cupcakes
Method:

Preheat an oven to 350°F. Prepare the 12 muffin pan and line them with oiled paper cups.

Sieve together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set it aside.
In a large bowl, using a mixer, beat together the sugar and butter for 2 to 3 minutes. The mix will change color and begome light and fluffy. To this add the egg and egg white (one at a time) and mix some more.

Now add the vanilla and beat some more.

Then add the flour in 3 parts, each one accompanied with little milk, and mix it till it's smooth.

Divide the batter in the muffin cups. I used a ice-cream scoop to help keep it even. Fill each cup about 1/2 to 3/4.

Bake for 19-20 minutes till the toothpick comes out clean.  Cool for an hour before frosting.

Frosting:
Beat  the whipped cream with color, sugar and vanilla till soft peaks form. Pipe it over the cupcakes and add rainbow sprinkles. Viola, cupcakes are ready!

Vanilla cupcakes
Serve immediately.

14 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday to little A.

    Thought of cactus when I saw the cupcakes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely cupcake my dear. Am sooo happy to bloghop and visit all the old friends who I used to blog with and wish to do so once again. I have missed this world. Love the changes in your blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to see you back. :)

      Delete
  3. :-) and birthday wishes for Lil A..God bless...and kids these days are very specific and vocal about their choices and preferences and my daughter is no different than that..cute cupcakes..how are you ? ..hugs and smiles

    ReplyDelete
  4. Birthday wishes to Lil A, may god bless..

    Cute looking delicious cupcakes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday to your little fella- I mean big fella of course!! So sweet to hear little stories about your two boys. Lovely cupcakes, they reminded me of caterpillars :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nupur, will have to tell Lil A. I'm sure he'll make me bake another batch to see it.

      Delete
  6. Happy Birthday to Li'l A :)
    Those are some deliciously cute cupcakes - am sure he was bowled over and very happy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy, happy birthday to dear A. He chose the perfect cake and I am in love with the frosting. I suck at piping frosting and these are so good. Lots of hugs and love again for him and bro

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This piping was easy. With two little ones, everything I do has to be done under 15 min nowadays :)

      Delete

Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than 6 years now. I love to hear from you, all your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming. I will also try to answer any questions you have in the comments.

Happy browsing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...