March 27, 2013

Khejur gurer payesh for Holi

Khejur gurer payesh


It's Holi today and I am dry, going about my daily routine. But in my mind, I am thinking about Holi I celebrated a couple of years ago at home. I was home for Holi after many years, and it was Lil A's first trip to India so it was extra special.

The evening before Holi, I was sure that we would do dry colors, just a little bit here and there and we will be done. The next morning we woke up, ate breakfast, applied oil and changed into holi clothes and then we were all ready.

Then the first group of aunties came.  I had forgotten about aunties' holi-playing techniques. I went out with gulaal or abeer and that turned out to be very bad strategy. In minutes I was soaked with all kinds of color. And then all the resolutions were out of the window. We played a wet, wet holi with family, cousins, friends and neighbors. By the end, we had run out of colors and were making do with plain water.

After we cleaned up we ate hot Khichuri my mom made for purnima (full moon) and my father made khejur gur/nalen gur/patali gurer payesh.

Patali gurer payesh
My parents are here and this time they got some patali gur from Kolkata so for Holi we may not have played colors but we do have Khejur gurer payesh.

Khejur gur or jaggery is made with sap of the date palms during the winter months. A good comparison would be maple syrup. The payesh turns out caramely, smoky, mildly sweet and incredibly rich and delicious. Here is a wiki entry which talks about it.

You may want to test your gur before adding it in milk. Add a small bit in hot milk, if the milk separates, it may not be the best one for payesh.

I use a combination of whole milk and 2% milk for my payesh and it turns out as creamy as regular payesh.

Ingredients:
1 ltr  2% milk
1/2 ltr whole milk
1/3 cup gobindo bhog rice (this rice is has aroma all it's own and is small unlike basmati)
1 cup patali gur (chopped in small pieces)
handful chopped almonds (optional)

Method:
In a thick bottom saucepan, boil the milk on low-medium heat, stirring continuously. Once it's boiled add the rice and let it cook on low heat for 5-7 minutes. Stir and cook for another 5-7 minutes stirring so it doesn't get burned.

After the rice is almost done, add the gur little by little. Now cook it on low heat till the milk reduces and the rice is done.


Take is off the heat and sprinkle the almonds. Serve either warm or cold.

Happy Holi everyone.

6 comments:

  1. Nice recipe for a colorful festival in India. I hope it's tasty too will suggest this to my wife and will make a try and will taste great post and nice recipe. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know how it turns out :)

      Delete
  2. Haooy holi wishes, payesh looks very creamy and highly inviting.Love this sweet very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, hope you had a great holi too.

      Delete
  3. I want to do this payesh with almond milk...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do try and let me know how it turns out. I can also link to it from my blog.

      Delete

Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than a decade now. We love to hear from you -- your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming.
Happy browsing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...