April 12, 2013

Lobia salad (Black-eyed peas salad)

Black eyed peas salad

Why is it that I have never blogged a black eyed peas recipe before, I scratch my head thinking and yet I can come up with no answer.

It's not that I don't make it. I make it often, almost every week sometimes. And somehow I have never photographed it or written down the recipe. Has it ever happened to you dear friends that you have a go-to recipe and you have never shared it before?

Today, along with this familiar recipe I want to share the book I am reading. Wave by Sonali Deraniyagala. It's the most gut-wrenching book I have read. Wave's starting point is her experience of the tsunami where she loses her husband, her two sons and her parents and recounts her life thereafter.

I have been reading it slowly in bits and snatches when I have time after putting my boys to sleep or early in the morning. And I am glad that I am reading it slowly because I don't think I would finish it otherwise. Her grief is raw, tangible almost and as NYTimes puts it "opens beneath you like a sinkhole."

It's dark, angry and there are no clean endings here. But in between this dark anger and suicidal fury there is also love and happy memories of her life before.

Why such stories matter? This is what Teju Cole says in the New Yorker review: "In witnessing something far-fetched, something brought out before us from the distant perimeter of human experience, we are in some way fortified for our own inevitable, if lesser, struggles."

Black eyed peas salad
Here is the recipe of the Lobia/black eyed peas salad.

 Ingredients:
1 cup lobia
2/3 cucumber - chopped
1 avacado - chopped
1 small onion - sliced
2 tbspoon lemon juice 
1/4 tspoon fresh black pepper
1/2 tspoon  toasted cumin seed powder
1/4 tspoon chilli powder
salt to taste

Method:
Soak the lobia overnight in water and then boil it. Take half of it for the salad and reserve the rest for a curry for another day. 

Put the lobia in a bowl and then add the rest of the ingredients - cucumber, avacado and onions. Add the lemon juice, black pepper, cumin powder, red chilli powder and salt. Mix it nicely. I just use my hands for the mixing. 

Black eyed peas salad

Serve as a side or a starter. It's a good with wine too!

Sending this to MLLA 58 being hosted by Chez Cayenne. It was started by Susan and has now been taken over by Lisa

10 comments:

  1. Looks yum ...nicely done

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been reading about "Wave" and couldn't believe what this woman had to go through. I'll have to look for the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nupur, I am glad I'm reading it slowly. It's too overwhelming ro read in one go.

      Delete
  3. Even i think that sometimes why i never post a recipe which i make very often. Love the idea os a salade like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Finla. I have a collection of them :)

      Delete
  4. Sometimes I'm unable to complete movies or books like this. I can't take it.

    Will give this a try soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sra, i know what you mean. I am glad I am reading it slowly.

      Delete
  5. Nutritious and very refreshing salad, i dont mind having rite now for my dinner.

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than 6 years now. I love to hear from you, all your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming. I will also try to answer any questions you have in the comments.

Happy browsing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...