May 28, 2013

In my kitchen and Almond Chutney

Almond chutney

The last few weeks we all have been spent in company of medicine. First Lil A, then me, then Tiny M, and then Lil A again and so it went. Ear infections, bacterial infection of another kind and cold and coughs in between. We all took turns to get on antibiotics. So despite my best intentions, the recipes are still sitting in the computer and the pictures are in the camera.

The long weekend helped get us on the road to recovery. And the weather is warming too.

Here are a few of what we cooked and ate over the long weekend.

Even though it was freezing we ate melons and pretended it was summer.

posto chicken curry
Some simple chicken curry which warms the soul and makes any weekend perfect. 

I saw a lovely kitchen post on Nupur's blog last month. So inspired by that post I am doing a "in my kitchen" post myself.

in my kitchen
 In my kitchen are two little pictures that have been with me since my first year in the US and continue to cheer me.

in my kitchen
In my kitchen are carrots and pears getting ready for Tiny M's dinner.

in my kitchen
In my kitchen is a white elephant teapot we received as a gift and in which we brew a pot during weekend for that extra cup.

2012-09-03 15.06.19
 In my kitchen is picture on the fridge from Lil A.

in my kitchen
In my kitchen is Naga pickle we picked up from London a year ago and still use it to spruce up veggies every now and then.

In this post, I want to share this recipe of almond chutney that we have been making for years now. This is so versatile, and a good source of fat and protein for little ones. I have used this as a side for soft idlis, crunchy dosas, in sandwiches, and even with rotis. I've even had it a couple of times with plain hot white rice.

You can make it as spicy as you want. I make it mild for Lil A. 

1/3 cup almonds
1 green chilli deseeded
handful of cilantro
salt to taste

For tadka/tempering
1 tspoon oil
1/2 tspoon mustard seeds
pinch of asafoetida
3-4 curry leaves broken

Boil water and soak the almonds in the  hot water for 5-6 minutes. The peels will pop off.

Now add the deseeded chilli, cilantro and salt and grind it to a fine paste.

Heat oil in a small pan and add the asafoetida, mustard seeds and curry leaves. Once the mustard seeds have popped, add it to the almond paste.
Almond chutney

Stir it and serve. It stays in the fridge for 3-5 days. 


  1. Thats wonderful to see some treasures from ur kitchen,love that elephant tea pot.

    Almond chutney looks absolutely super nutty and flavourful.

    1. Thanks! We love the teapot too :)

  2. What an unusual chutney! And I liked the elephant teapot!

    1. Sra, this is our go to chutney with idlis and dosas.

  3. What a lovely post, Mandira. Is your tiny M eating solids already?? I think of him as a wee newborn. The elephant is really darling.

    1. Yeah Nupur, he is almost 7 months now. He loves pear and sweet potato. Slowly introducing him to new stuff. Gave him mango yesterday and he ate it all up.

  4. Love to see that tadka done on the chutney.
    Congratulations on being listed in the Directory of best Indian blogs of the year.

  5. This lovely post puts a smile on my face and I am still smiling seeing the fabulous art work done by Lil A who is not little any more- now big brother to lil M :-)) and good to hear that you all are recovering well.I really don't like when kids fell sick, but somethings are not in our control right?.love the elephant tea-pot Mandira and everything that you shared with us here ..Would love to have that almond chutney with some home-made dosa or idli..hugs and smiles


Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than a decade now. We love to hear from you -- your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming.
Happy browsing.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...