June 11, 2013

Watermelon salad and Plenty

Watermelon salad
A friend recently gave us a cookbook as a gift. I haven't received a cookbook as a gift in a while, so I was curious about this one. The book is "Plenty" by Yotam Ottolenghi, one of the hottest chef in UK, I hear. The book has a stunning photo on the cover and high reviews in press already.

Plenty
I liked the way the book is arranged around a central ingredient: pasta, eggplant, squashes, fruits etc just to name a few. This vegetarian cookbook takes his columns that have appeared in Guardian and put them in a book form with some beautiful pictures. It made me want to cook with it immediately. And I did!

I have made a couple of recipes from this already. I will share them slowly. What I want to share today is the simplest recipe which is such a wonderful turn on watermelon. I have never really thought of making a salad with watermelon before. When I saw it in the book, I knew I had to try it for the little grilling party later in the evening.

Watermelon salad
The salad was just delicious. I tweaked a little bit with salt and pepper and served it immediately. We ate some as starter, some as side. The menu for the evening with friends was:
Ingredients:
(serves 4-6)

1 small watermelon 
1/4 red onion
1/4 cup feta cheese crumbled
6-7 basil leaves torn
salt and pepper to taste

Watermelon salad
Method:
Cut the onion in thin slices. And cut the watermelon in small bite-size pieces. Mix them together. Add salt and pepper and mix one more time.
Now add the feta on top and then the basil leaves.
Add olive oil on top and serve immediately.
Enjoy.


7 comments:

  1. I got the same cookbook as a gift, Mandira! I'm loving the recipes but have yet to try any. This looks beautiful, except I just don't like feta at all. My husband would love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nupur, you can try this with goat cheese too. That would work too. I am so interested in trying the eggplant and mango recipe. Should we do it together?

      Delete
  2. I have the other book from them and have been wanting to buy plenty too, last month when i was in london i went to their place and it is soooooooooooooo good their salades are so muthwattering and we had their desserts which was just to die for :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I am jealous finla :) One of the biggest thing is the recipes don't sound intimidating. I've heard the first one is pretty good too. Is it?

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks delicious! Must try this :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11:54 AM

    Please add a "print" button. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than a decade now. We love to hear from you -- your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming.
Happy browsing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...