July 15, 2013

Kumro aar uchhe chorchori

Kumro karela chorchori

This recipe is not for the faint-hearted, there are strong tastes and flavors in this chorchori. But once you've tasted the combination of the bitter uchhe (bittergourd/karela) mixed with the sweetness from the kumro (pumpkin) cooked in pungent mustard seed paste, you'll be hooked forever.

Let me start from the beginning. I look forward to my parents' visit. Every time they are here, I get to taste something new and different. Last year it was shorshe begun, this year they made this chorchori.

I didn't grow up on this recipe. In fact, I had not even heard of a combination like this. The recipe comes from my sister-in-law who learned it from her dida. And my dad has been making it every other week here and is now ready to share it.

You want to pressure cook the karela for one whistle and then discard the water, it makes the karela less bitter. If you don't want to pressure cook, you can boil it in an open pan till it is half-cooked.

Ingredients: 
1big karela chopped into small pieces
200gms kumro or butternut squash cleaned and cut into small pieces
1/4 tspoon kalo jeera (nigella seeds)
2 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 green chilli cut into 2 pcs and seed taken out (if you want it more spicy, include the seeds)
1/4 tspoon turmeric powder
1/4 tomato
Salt to taste
2 tbspoon oil
Method:
Grind the mustard seeds and chopped green chili with the tomato with 2-3 tbspoon water to a fine paste.

Put the chopped karela in a pressure cooker with a cup of water and a little bit salt. Let it cook for one whistle, or cook it in an open pan till it is half-cooked.
Heat the oil in a pan and temper it with kalo jeera and saute for a minute. Then add the uchhe and saute it till it starts to turn brown. 

Kumro karela chorchori
Now add the kumro and let it cook together for a couple of minutes. 

Then add the mustard seed paste, turmeric powder, and salt and let it cook for another minute or two. Add about 2/3 cup water and cook it in medium heat and covered till the water is absorbed and it becomes makha makha.

Serve warm with rice.

10 comments:

  1. Oma ... ki bhalo recipe! Shob shomoye ucche sheddho khete bhalo lage na ... eta toh ekbar kortei hoye. Eyirokom ga makha torkari amar khub bhalo lage. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try koro Sharmila, khub bhalo lage khete.

      Delete
  2. I have tried and tried to love karela... it's soooo good for you I know. This recipe is tempting Mandira! Next time to Grand Rapids, I will look for karela and give it another go. I would like to *grow* that bitter gourd too -- maybe next spring ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Home-grown karela, now that would be fantastic Linda.

      Delete
  3. ki bhalo eta! ami ei combination ta aage kheyechi. My dida used to make a dry shukto (that is what we called) and it had pumpkin and karela + mulo I think. kintu ki kore korto ektuo jaanina. I will have to make this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hain, ami prothom bar khelam ei bar. Darun lage khete.

      Delete
  4. Hi Mandira,

    Bengali cuisine is one of the best cuisine's in the world. I totally adore it, I have had chochori earlier and that too this one as well. But I really do not have the recipe. I like the extreme in tastes very much.

    Thanks for sharing,
    Mahek

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mahek, I hope you will try this recipe too.

      Delete
  5. Never had these but looks so good, Actually i am not that faomiliar with bong cook other then the recipes i ahve seen in blogs except the ones i have ate in a freinds home as they are from kolkatta.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So you have a great source for bengali food. You should ask them to make some for you :)

      Delete

Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than 6 years now. I love to hear from you, all your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming. I will also try to answer any questions you have in the comments.

Happy browsing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...