August 07, 2013

Pui shaak-er chorchori, chingri diye

Pui shaker chorchori, chingri diye

How is your summer going so far? Hardly feels like summer if you ask me. With intermittent rain and cool nights, it doesn't feel like we had too many hot and warm days. So I am extra grateful that the weather was perfect during all our outings to the beach.

Evening at the beach
Lil A is a beach bum. He can stay there all day spending time digging out sand, making holes, watering them, and running in the water.  We will have to wait and see how Tiny M reacts to the water. This time he spent most of his time watching his brother, the water and sea gulls from Baby Bjorn. He did get his feet wet several times when Lil A came out of the water and insisted on taking Tiny M there.

My little backyard veggie patch is doing OK this year. I haven't had many tomatoes though. I had one good batch and now I am waiting to get another.

But I haven't been lacking fresh and geen vegetables. Between Patel Brothers, Bombay Grocers, and the Farmer's Market I have been finding fresh greens and vegetables every week.

Pui shaak is a new find at Patel Brothers. I was so excited to get it especially when my parents were here because of the anticipation of learning a new recipe. And I was not disappointed.

I had Pui shaak-er chorchori, chingri diye. This chorchori can also be made niramish (without the chingri). Pui is a delicate green and melts nicely when it is cooked. It is also called Malabar climbing spinach and is used in all Asian cooking.

1/2 lb Pui shaak - cleaned and chopped
2 small carrots - cleaned and cubed, pumpkin or squash also works well
1 small eggplant - cut in cubes

1 1/2 potato - peeled and cut in cubes
1/4 cup shrimp cut in small pieces
2 green chillies
1 tspoon Panch Phoron
1/2 tspoon turmeric powder
4 tbspoon oil
Salt to taste
Pinch of sugar

For paste:
1 tspoon mustard seeds
1 tspoon poppy seeds

Rub the shrimp/chingri with salt and turmeric powder and set it aside for 30 minutes. Heat 2 tbspoon oil and saute the chingri for 3-4 minutes. Set it aside.

Heat the rest of the oil in a pan and temper it with panch phoron and then add the green chillies. Add all the vegetables one by one along with Pui shaak. Stir and cover and let it cook on low medium heat. After a couple of minutes, add the turmeric powder. Then add the salt and sugar.

The shaak and the vegetables with start to release the water. Now add the  mustard and poppy seed paste and cook for another 3-4 minutes.  Open the lid, add the shrimp/chingri pieces, stir it together and let it cook with the lid for another 2-3 minutes.

Pui shaker chorchori, chingri diye
Serve hot with rice.


  1. Ki bhalo lage pui ar chingrir combination. Ami chingri pele koto ki banabo bhabi ar bhaja e kheye nei. Ekhon fridge e ektu pui ache o ... kintu chingri nei. But am going to make some chocchori with vegetables. :)

  2. Hi Mandira, we are having the same kind of summer! A few hot days in July but nothing near the temps to grow my brinjals or ripen the tomatoes. This is the first year I've had a garden in the ground -- next spring I am going shopping for outdoor pots. I think I need them more in Mich. than I ever did in Mass ;)

    Regarding your shopping, I am green with envy! I stopped at Patel Bros. on the trip home last spring -- can't wait to get back.

    This dish looks so delicious with the colorful carrots added in... I love malabar spinach.

    All the best!

  3. We had some hot blazing days and we were wishing it will stays like that but noooooooo it is back to rain again here.

  4. Eta amar darun pochonder tumi darun baniecho

  5. looks so good! and i love the beach pic. and happy to know the kids like it there.. do share pics!

  6. We are having hot summer too..Dish looks fabulous with loads of veggies and shrimps.

  7. What a beautiful comforting dish. I've heard of Malabar spinach but have never tasted it. Will look for it in the local Asian store :)


Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than a decade now. We love to hear from you -- your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming.
Happy browsing.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...