September 19, 2013

Cardamom and almond flour cake

Cardamom Almond flour cake


This year we planted a bunch of different veggie plants in the backyard patch. For some reason, the eggplantplant would flower, and then wither away. I didn't see anything for the longest time. Then, there was a little eggplant that came. But the squirrels took it away. Yes, the ones that live in our neighborhood are vicious and not scared at all. Our friends can vouch for us. They've seen them go for the veggies when we are in the backyard!

From garden to table
So when the the plant had another eggplant, I was super thrilled. But also nervous. After a few week's of suspense of whether the eggplant will survive, thankfully it did, I had my first ever eggplant produce.

From garden to table
The garden veggies made for a delicious lunch the next day, the squash was used in a sambar and the eggplant went in a potato and eggplant bhaji.

I now have some carrots in the ground. What about you? Did you plant something this summer? Maybe you have a window garden? What's growing in there?

Coming back to the recipe, I first made this cake in February when it was snowing outside. I wanted to make my orange and almond flour cake. But I didn't have any oranges. It was dark, freezing and we were hosting a mini party to celebrate Aswin's tenure in the evening.

So I experimented with the cardamom and a simple almond flour cake. I beat in the egg white to make it light. It turned out good.

That evening, we ordered in some takeout, had some munchies, some soup and this cake. I have made it again since then, but I just never get around to taking a decent picture. By the time I think about it, the cake is gone.

But I shall persevere and I hope to have a good picture soon.

The flavor is delicate, flaky and the toasty, fragrant smell of cardamom coming later, but it lingers.

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups almond flour
3/4 cup sugar (i used the brown sugar I had at home)
1/2 tspoon cardamom powder (fresh ground)
1 tspoon baking powder
3 eggs separated
Pinch of salt
Powdered sugar for decorating

Method:
Heat the oven to 350deg F. Mix the Baking powder and cardamom flour with the almond flour. Keep aside.

Separate the eggs and beat the egg white till it is fluffy.

Mix the egg yolks with the sugar, 1/4 cup at a time till it is mixed in. Now add the almond flour slowly to that mix. Once it's done, add the egg whites in. Take it in big scoops. Avoid excessive mixing, rather try to fold it in.

Once it's all mixed in, pour it in a buttered, and floured pan, cook for 40 minutes till the toothpick comes out clean.
Cardamom Almond flour cake

Let it cool and serve with powdered sugar. 

10 comments:

  1. Cake looks spongy and very aromatic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can imagine the flavour the cardamom gives. One thing i miss living in a apartment is a garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finla, my time time baking with cardamom. I was quite impressed with the subtleness.

      Delete
  3. Love reading about your veggie patch and squirrel eating them out LOL..They really are very naughty :-)..and to me the cake looks divine seriously and why would you need to upload more pics..When ever I visit you here, what I like here is genuine recipes and snaps , looks far better than what I get to see these days most of teh time I do net surfing- lost in the world of props and technical details..and my window-sill plants died this summer as we were not there to take care of them properly...how r you and kids ? take care ..hugs and smiles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jaya. We are doing well. Gets busy once the week begins, as you probably know. How is it going for you?

      Delete
  4. I've made orange and almond flour cakes earlier, twice. They came out dense and moist. I had to powder the almonds in the mixie as we don't get almond flour here.

    I wonder why the squirrels spared this eggplant. The thought of a vicious squirrel scares me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sra, not so much vicious rather fearless. They are roaming around looking for food right in front of us.

      Delete
  5. Hi Mandira! My mom sent me a recipe for almond macaroons and it sounds very much like this lovely cake! She didn't use any cardamom though.

    I know the little critters love eggplant -- tomatoes too! Here the culprit is more often a chipmunk. Glad you finally got some eggplant! I have fairy tale eggplant this year, but I didn't plant summer squash. Next year, for that. We have some nantes half-long carrots still in the ground -- kinda short and stubby, but they taste good. Three days of temps in the 70s to finish ripening tomatoes, too! Hope you're enjoying these lingering autumn days :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the texture almonds gives to the cakes. :) I am hoping that autumn will stick around for a little while longer.

      Delete

Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than 6 years now. I love to hear from you, all your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming. I will also try to answer any questions you have in the comments.

Happy browsing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...