November 22, 2013

Back from travels with Tanjore Marathi gudu gudu somasi

I have been missing from the blog for a while. First I was busy at work and then I was in India for a week traveling for work and now am catching up. How have you been? 

Traveling and work

Food in India
While there, I got to eat some delicious food. Most of the working lunches served buffet style at different institutions. I am curious about one fact. I saw different kind of sandwiches, pasta, cutlets and boiled vegetables on the menu. Is this the new norm or was it because there was an American delegation visiting? Please leave me comments and let me know.

Food in India
I tried the Mother Dairy Mishti Doi and have to say it was pretty darn good!

Celebrations

Cake sailing
Before I left, we celebrated  Tiny M's first birthday. I made two simple cakes - one was a banana cake and the other one was a orange cake. The frosting was whipped cream with a sail boat theme.

We also hosted a Diwali party for family. The menu was a mix of Tanjore Marathi and regular food with 3-4 different kinds of sweets. Before we sat down for dinner, we even braved the cold to set off some sparklers and fireworks.

Tanjore Marathi somasi

Everyone is now planning for Thanksgiving menu, but I have to tell you about this somasi I made for Diwali. The name gudu gudu comes from the sound the filling makes inside. My MIL had been telling me about this sweet and I decided to try it even if it meant deep frying late at night.

We made it in a few batches after the kids went to sleep.

They turned out well and we had a special treat for Diwali dinner!

here is how we did it.

Ingredients:
(makes about 15-16)
For the outer layer
2 cups - all purpose flour
3/4 cup - rava/sooji (cream of wheat)
pinch of salt
1/4 cup oil

Filling:
2/3 cup - roasted Bengal gram
1/4 cup - coconut
2 tbspoon - poppy seeds
1 tspoon - cardamom powder
2/3 cup - sugar

Method:

Gudu gudu somasi
1. Grind the gram flour and toast the coconut and poppy seeds. Grind the sugar with the cardamom powder.

Gudu gudu somasi
2. Mix it all together to make the filling. Now set it aside.

3. Mix all-purpose flour, rava, salt and oil to make a soft dough. Set it aside for 30-45 min.

Gudu gudu somasi
4. Roll out the dough long.

Gudu gudu somasi
5. Cut 15-16 equal pieces.

Gudu gudu somasi
6. Roll it out thin.

Gudu gudu somasi
7. Then put a t-spoon of the filling.

Gudu gudu somasi
8. Close it tight and then deep-fry a minute or two on each side till they are golden brown.

Gudu gudu somasi
Serve as a snack or a side.



8 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday to your little guy- the sail boat cake is just too darling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nupur, Tiny M tried a little bit, but his brother was quite enthusiastic about the cake. I used some of his Halloween loot for the decoration.

      Delete
  2. Happy b'day to Tiny M! Eta gujiyar moton tai na? Besh khasta dekhacche.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hain gujiyar moton kintu filling ta onno. I kept asking how it would turn out till I ate one :)

      Delete
  3. we call them kajjikayalu.. looks so delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So good to know, is the filling same in kajjikayalu?

      Delete
  4. wonderful information, I had come to know about your blog from my friend nandu , hyderabad,i have read atleast 7 posts of yours by now, and let me tell you, your website gives the best and the most interesting information. This is just the kind of information that i had been looking for, Thanks a to once again, Regards, marathi kavita

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than 6 years now. I love to hear from you, all your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming. I will also try to answer any questions you have in the comments.

Happy browsing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...