March 12, 2014

Pyanj tomato diye salmoner patla jhol (light salmon curry with onion and tomato)

Pyanj tomato diye salmon-er jhol

There are some things I get from Whole Foods (no one is paying me for this claim, it's just what I do), fish and meat being a few. They are one of the few places that carries smelt during spring, fresh from the lakes.

I am also on a lookout for good salmon on sale whenever I go. If I find one, it is a prized possession because it makes for a creamy cooked fish. My go to recipe with it is baked and broiled with some spices and it makes a great dinner or lunch.

I got one such salmon fillet when my parents were visiting last year. Usually, they make a kalia kind of curry with salmon because they find the smell strong. But this fish was so fresh that they decided to make a light jhol/curry which is usually reserved for freshest of fish.

You can easily substitute salmon with any other fresh fish - tilapia or even small fish like smelt.

With a little tomato and onion forming the base of the curry, this was a great lunch with some steamed brown rice.




Ingredients:
(serves 4-6)
1 fillet Fish - cut into 4-5 pieces
1 large tomato - chopped
1/2 onion - chopped
2 green chilli
1 tspoon kalo jeere (nigella seeds)
1/2 tspoon turmeric powder
1/2 tspoon cumin seed powder
Salt to taste
5-6 tbspoon oil
bunch of cilantro - chopped


Method:
Shallow fry the fish in 3-4 tbspoon oil. Set it aside.

Temper the rest of the oil with nigella seeds and green chilli.

Then add the onions and saute for 3-4 minutes. Add the tomatoes, turmeric powder and cumin seed powder and let it cook with closed lid for a couple of minutes.

Then add salt and 1 cup water and let it cook for till it comes to boil. Add the fish pieces and cook on low for 3-4 minutes.
Pyanj tomato diye salmon-er jhol

Add the cilantro and take it off the heat. Let it rest for 2-3 minutes. Then serve with rice.

Serve with hot rice. 

4 comments:

  1. Aahaa.. khaNsha... I wish I could eat this right now... even I am big on salmon... usually broiled or pan seared. Jhol ekhon o banai ni... though I make it with shorshe sometime... I have to try this one...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Progna, besh bhalo hoye chilo, try korte paro.

      Delete
  2. Never cooked salmon in curry apart from frying, delicious dish.

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than 6 years now. I love to hear from you, all your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming. I will also try to answer any questions you have in the comments.

Happy browsing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...