April 16, 2014

Sprucing up midweek dal with dill and tomato

Dill and tomato dal
Shubho Nababarsha! Happy Bengali new year to my friends and readers. Hope you had a great start to the new year.

Coffee grinder for spicesI think I may be the last person to discover coffee grinder for Indian spices. I finally succumbed and bought one. The first thing I made with it? Shorshe macher jhol with a fine grind of mustard and little bit of posto. The ease of cooking. I am so glad to have discovered it and am now converting my parents into using it as well.

Dill and tomato dal Lil A's new favorite food is tacos. With shredded cheese, shredded cucumber, grilled fish, we've made various combinations and he loves it. We've even sent it to school with him. One evening last week, it was taco night for us. I made some shredded chicken for adult tacos and topped it up with manchego cheese. How have you adapted some of your kids favorite with yours?

I am still boiling some dal and freezing for midweek use and was in a mood to spruce up the regular mooger dal. I had some dill leftover from the chicken rice and used it with tomatoes. The combination was just right. Dill was not overpowering, although be careful to use only leaves. The stem has a much stronger taste.



With a fresh salad, rotis and sweet potato roast, this was our weeknight dinner.

Ingredients:
1 cup boiled moong dal
1 medium tomato - chopped
1/4 cup dill leaves - chopped
1" ginger - grated
2 green chillies
1 tbspoon oil
pinch of asafoetida
salt to taste
1/2 tspoon cumin seeds
1/4 tspoon turmeric powder
1/2 tspoon cumin seed powder

Method:
Boil the moong dal with 1:3 water. I use a pressure cooker and it makes it so easy to make a big batch and freeze some.

Heat oil in a saucepan and temper it with asafoetida. Then add the green chillies and the cumin seeds. Let it sizzle for a minute.

Then add the tomatoes and let it cook for a couple of minutes. Add turmeric powder, cumin powder and salt and let it cook for 2-3 minutes with closed lid. Now add the dal, salt and 1 1/4 cup water and let it cook for another couple of minutes.

Dill and tomato dal
Now add the dill leaves and cook for 3-4 minutes on medium heat. Take it off the heat and serve warm.
 



4 comments:

  1. Happy New Year to you Mandira. You may be right about that :) I cannot survive without my coffee grinder which has never seen coffee beans in its life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Indo. :) I'm glad I know the secret of best ground spices now.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. thank you, it's simple and satisfying.

      Delete

Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than 6 years now. I love to hear from you, all your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming. I will also try to answer any questions you have in the comments.

Happy browsing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...