May 15, 2014

Learning new tricks and celebrating mom with mango cake

Mango cake

I love a good tip. Whenever I see one about house, kitchen, or cooking, I bookmark it hoping to use it. Some get used immediately and some languish in bookmark folders for months and years before I find time.

You remember the garlic tip from a few months ago. It has come in handy so many times since we learned it.

Since then I have found a few more tips that have worked great for us.

Learning new tricksLearning new tricks 1. My kitchen gets a lot of use, from baking veggies, fish, chicken and cake etc, we use it atleast a few times a week. But I haven't been very good about cleaning it partly because of sheer laziness and partly because of lack of a good cleaning product.

A few weeks ago I found a tip in Kitchn about how to clean the oven with baking soda and vinegar. Without any chemicals? I immediately decided to act on it. I followed the step by step procedure and was very happy with the results.

It did a great job removing most of the grime and there was no after smell. And clean oven is such a pleasure.

Learning new tricks 2. I saw this tip for making a border around the garden and thought this is what we need for the front patch of our house. It sat in my pinterest for the longest time.

Learning new tricks Now that the weather is nice and warm I reopened the link and decided to working on it. Instead of stone, we got bricks and it worked just as well.  My father did the heavy lifting and it took us 3-4 days  to get it in place. I am thrilled to have the new border and promptly celebrated by planing annuals.

The recipe I want to share is mango cake. I made it on Mother's Day to celebrate my mom who baked cakes and custards in a small town in India when we were growing up. There was a small round tin box that was the oven and it came with a cake mould and some cupcake moulds too. I remember stirring the cake batter countless times as ma experimented with a recipe. The smell of cake cooking would keep us at edge and we would hang around till the cake was out and cut the still warm cake and pop it in our mouth.

So for Mother's Day I decided to combine mango puree with almond flour and whole wheat flour and olive oil to whip out this cake before the day was over. I realized that I didn't have whipped cream so decided to make a greek yogurt topping and it was amazing. It was creamy and if you cool it for a few hours, no one can tell the difference.

Make this cake and celebrate the little things that made you smile.



Ingredients:
1 cup almond flour
1 cup whole wheat flour ( you can take two cups of flour and omit the almond flour)
1 cup sugar
2 whole mangoes - chopped
1/4 tspoon salt
1/4 cup whole milk
2 eggs
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tbspoon baking powder

Topping
5 tbspoon greek yogurt
3 tbspoon mango puree
1 tbspoon sugar

Method:
Preheat the oven to 350 deg, and rub the cake pan with oil and flour and set it aside.

Mango cake
Sieve together almond flour, whole wheat flour, salt and baking powder together.

Mango cake
Puree the mango and take out 3 tbspoon mango puree for the topping. Then mix the rest with the whole milk.

Mix together the sugar and olive oil with a wooden spoon till sugar mixes well. Then add the eggs one at a time till it incorporates well.

Then add the dry ingredients alternating it with mango puree, one third at a time. Make sure that the dry ingredients is added last.

Pour the mix in the cake pan and let it cook for 25-30 min till the toothpick comes out clean.

Let it cool.

In the meantime, whisk together the greek yogurt, mango puree and sugar. Spread it nicely over the cake and decorate with a few thin slices of mango.

Mango cake
Cook it in the fridge for an hour before serving.

4 comments:

  1. Useful tips Mandira.. I'll be using the baking soda+vinegar tips soon.... The Mango-Almond Cake looks delish... Bookmarking it. Hope to make it soon...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Progna. It was easy and the best part was discovering greek yogurt as a topping.

      Delete
  2. I'm quite thrilled to find a recipe which incorporates mango into the batter. I have several mangoes in my fridge and am going to use them up this way. The problem is, I have to buy flour only for this now. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sra, I added half in the batter, no vanilla essence, and half in the topping. The result was a beautiful mango smell. Let me know how it turns out.

      Delete

Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than 6 years now. I love to hear from you, all your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming. I will also try to answer any questions you have in the comments.

Happy browsing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...