January 28, 2015

Celebrating 5th birthday with Ninjago lemon cake

Lemon cake with ninjagos

This last fall Lil A has been obsessed with Ninja turtles and then Ninjago characters. So when I asked him what cake he wanted for his birthday, he said Ninjago cake without batting an eyelid. My brain went into shock. How am I going to make it?

The next day we were at his pediatrician for a check up and he told the doctor, "My mommy is making me a ninjago cake for my birthday." She looked at me and said, "don't forget to get a picture when you are here next." Ah, my heart sank.

After several failed attempts to not do it, I decided to tackle it myself. If you don't know what ninjagos are: there are five of them with different colors. One of them is a teacher with white flowing beard and a hat, the other four are the ninjas.

I got fondants from Michaels, little packages, of red, black and white. I made the yellow and blue using food color and white fondant. I saw this YouTube video and sort of followed it.

Lemon cake with Ninjago characters
I also got a edible Ninjago edible cake strip from Etsy. I put that around the cake and the birthday boy was thrilled.

We had a little birthday party for Lil A with 5 of his friends and I made some extra ninjago characters, so each of them (including Tiny M) had a character to eat.

I kept the cake simple - lemon cake with whipping cake frosting and then put the characters on top. It was such a hit. The 4 and 5-year-olds are generous with their praise. :)

21/2 cup all purpose flour
1 1/2 cup sugar
21/2 cup baking powder
1/2 tspoon salt
10tbspoon softened butter
3 eggs
Finely grated zest of one lemon
1/2 cup milk

For whipping cream
2 cups heavy whipping cream
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 tspoon vanilla essence

Set the oven to 350deg F. Butter and flour two 9-inch pans and keep it aside.

Sift the flour, salt and baking powder to take out all the lumps.

In a mixing bowl, beat the butter till it is smooth. Then add sugar in 3 or four portions till it is all incorporated and the butter had become fluffy and changed color.

Break one egg at a time and then mix it in a small bowl. Add it to the butter mix and mix for a minute. Repeat to incorporate all eggs.

Then add the lemon zest. Then add the flour in 3 or 4 portions along with little bit of milk each time. The batter will not be too runny.

Divide the batter into the two cake pans and then let it bake for 35-40 min.

Let it cool completely. In the meantime, mix all the ingredients and make the whipping cream.

Lemon cake with ninjagos
Add the whipping cream between the two cakes and on top. Just before taking the cake out, add the figures on the cake.



  1. Awww... he is so cute! Happy birthday to Lil A. The cake looks GREAT, Mandira

    1. Thanks Vani, the kids were thrilled and the parents liked it too. :)

  2. Oh! my ..so cute ..happy birthday to lil A ...onek shubecha janamdin er ...and that is one great looking cake .love those ninjas plus point is they are all edible wow!! ..great effort from you for the birthday cake ...actually I wont mind if I can get some of them too :-))...hugs and smiles

  3. Thank you Jaya! It was a request from the birthday boy and I have to follow through. :)


Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than a decade now. We love to hear from you -- your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming.
Happy browsing.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...