February 18, 2015

Saffron broccoli and cauliflower

Saffron cauliflower

It has been so cold here, that the brain has been in freeze mode. For once, I'm glad that the kids are off their preschool for mid winter break. We and they are spared of the endless layers to be put on and then removed.

I know, I know, I live in the Mid West and shouldn't be complaining but when it's so cold (tomorrow the high is 4 and low -14deg F) then all bets are off.

In the middle of all this cold, I have been making mostly comfort food, but have tried some new recipes as well.

During the holidays, I got Jerusalem by Yottam Ottolenghi and I have been meaning to try recipes from there.


I finally got a chance to try the saffron cauliflower last week when some friends were over. The base of the recipe is so good, that all I had to do was spice it up a little bit, mix some broccoli with cauliflower and it was ready. It went really well with the rest of the meal.

It's perfect to serve with some chicken or even a mixed pulao/rice as well.

The heady mix of saffron and olives with some onions and 1 garlic and then topped with some parsley made the cauliflower and broccoli shine.



Here is how I did it:
Saffron cauliflower

Ingredients:
(recipe from Jerusalem by Yottam Ottolenghi with modifications)
Serves 5-6

 I small cauliflower head - cut into florets
1 small broccoli head - cut into florets
I medium red onion sliced
1 garlic clove- grated (mine was a fat one, use two if needed)
1/2 tspoon saffron infused in 3 tbspoon water
1/4 cup olives - chopped roughly
1/4 cup raisins (I used the dark raisins that I had at home)
2 bay leaves
1/2 tspoon turmeric powder
1/2 tspoon coriander powder
1/2 tspoon cumin seed powder
Salt and pepper as needed
1tbspoon olive oil
4 tbspoon chopped parsley
1 tspoon lemon juice (optional)

Method:
Preheat the oven to 400deg F.
Mix all the ingredients except parsley and lemon juice in an oven safe dish. Mix the spices first with oil and then add the cauliflower and broccoli.

Then cook it in the oven for 30-40 minutes till the broccoli and cauliflower is cooked but not too soft. Midway, take the dish out and give it a good stir and put it back in.

Saffron cauliflower
Take out the dish, add the parsley and lemon juice, stir it well and then serve warm.

2 comments:

  1. A very healthy dish. Loved it. Thank u for the dish and the recipe. Keep posting with more.

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than a decade now. We love to hear from you -- your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming.
Happy browsing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...