October 21, 2015

Green chickpeas and sausage curry

Green chana and sausage


It's Durga pujo time. My Facebook feed is full with pictures of Durga pandals and idols from Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore and Kolkata. How things have changes in just a few years!

When I first came to the U.S., I used to long to see dugga thakur from home. Now I am able to see different pratimas (idols) and be a virtual participant in the pujo, see the saaj goj, the food, and the pandals.

Aswin's had a couple of deaths in his family, so we are not celebrating this year. It is going to be a quiet pujo for us.

I want to share the recipe I made for Kerrytown Project last month - green chickpeas with sausage curry.

When I found the green chickpeas at Patel brothers, I knew I wanted to make it for sampling at Kerrytown. So I bought a few pounds. Then, the question was to cook it with ground meat or not. I decided against ground meat and went with sausages instead as it complemented the juicy, crunchy chickpeas.

It was quite a hit, I'm told. Verdict: Sold Out



Ingredients:
2 lbs green chickpeas (shelled)
3-4 sausages (I chose chicken but you can do any)
2 medium onions - chopped thinly
3-4 cloves garlic - minced
1'ginger - minced
2 tomatoes - blanched and pulped
1/2 tspoon - fresh mint chopped

2 bay leaves
2 green cardamoms
1 stick of cinnamon
1/4 tspoon asafoetida
1 tspoon cumin seeds
2 red chillies
1/2 tspoon cumin seed powder
1/2 tspoon coriander seed powder
1/2 tspoon garam masala
1/2 tspoon turmeric powder
1/2 tspoon red chilli powder
salt to taste
5-6 tbspoon oil

Method:
Green chana and sausage
Boil the shelled chickpeas with salt and turmeric in a pressure cooker for about 5 whistles. While it's boiling, cut the sausages in disc shape and saute it in a pan, 2-3 minutes on each side so they brown a little. These sausages were pre-cooked so I didn't have to do much. But check and make sure you are cooking the sausages to the instructions on the cover.

Keep the boiled chickpeas and sausage aside, heat oil in a saucepan and temper it with asafoetida, chillies and cumin seeds. When the seeds are sputtering, add the garlic, ginger and then chopped onions.

Saute for 4-5 min on medium heat till the onions turn translucent. Add the pulped tomatoes, turmeric powder, cumin seed powder, coriander seed powder, red chilli powder and salt. Cover and let it cook for a couple of minutes and stir. Do it a couple of time, then add the chickpeas.

Let the chickpeas cook with the spices. Once it starts to stick, add 2 cups of water and the sausages. Add in the fresh chopped min and the garam masala now. Let it cook for another  5-6 minutes till the curry thickens.

Green chana and sausage

Take it off the heat and serve with either rice or hot parathas or pulkas.

Have a wonderful celebration everyone.

4 comments:

  1. Lovely write up and recipe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh these fresh green chickpeas are delicious! Known as harbara in Marathi, we used to get them only in a specific season (I think early winter?), and roast them whole in a fire, then peel and eat.

    Tell us more about this Kerrytown project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nupur,

      I found them in a Mediterranean store in spring and enjoyed it so much. Since then, I have been keeping an eye out for them. Roasting them sounds great.

      Since the beginning of this year, I have been sampling recipes from Ahaar, once a month. For lack of a better word, I call it Kerrytown project :)

      Delete

Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than a decade now. We love to hear from you -- your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming.
Happy browsing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...