November 19, 2015

Sugar cookies for diwali and a class presentation

Buttery sugar cookies

I have been thinking about doing a presentation in Lil A's class about Diwali. I couldn't manage to do it last week, but asked and scheduled a time this week.  It was first time speaking to a bunch of kindergartners. So, I was nervous.

I took some pictures for kids to color and clay diyas to paint for their activities. I wore a sari and even took an extra one for the teacher. But the most fun part was interacting with the students. These 5 and 6-year olds  had interesting questions, were engaged and entertaining.

I wanted to take some treats to class and instead of Indian mithai, I decided to make some cookies.  This was my first time making cookies. I was super nervous. What if they turn out hard as rock?

My plan B - take bourbon cookies if this fails. Luckily, I didn't have to go to plan B.

 The cookies turned out moist, soft and buttery. They were not too sweet, so this would make great holiday cookies too for decorating. 

I made some diya (lamps) on the cookie with edible markers a tiny splash of whipped cream in the middle and a tiny bit of sprinkles. Don't they look festive?

3 cups of all purpose flour
2 sticks (8oz of butter)
1 1/2 cups of sugar
pinch of cardamom and cinnamon powder
1/2 tspoon salt
1 1/2 tspoon baking powder
1 egg
1 tspoon vanilla

Combine flour, salt, baking powder, cinnamon and cardamom. I like to sieve it once to get it all smooth.

Cream the butter and sugar together for 4-5 minutes till it turns creamy.

Add in the egg and vanilla and mix again. Then add the flour. At this point I like to use my hands to get the dough together. Don't overmix. Once it's all together, make it in a disc shape and chill.

Buttery sugar cookies
I chilled it for about a couple of hours and then rolled it out on some flour. Cut round discs and put it on parchment paper on a baking tray.

Preheat the oven to 350 degF and bake the cookies for 12-15 minutes. One trick to keeping it soft - don't let the entire cookie turn brown. Look for the edge, once they start to turn brown, time to take the cookies out.

Buttery sugar cookies
Let it cool completely before decorating. Enjoy!


  1. hi,
    Very nice Post....
    Thank u for sharing...


Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than a decade now. We love to hear from you -- your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming.
Happy browsing.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...