March 28, 2016

Making lemon bars with meyer lemons

Making lemon bars

Happy Holi everyone. I hope you enjoyed the festival of colors with something sweet.

Holi kind of sneaked up on me. I was on the phone with my parents when they asked what our plans were for Holi, and of course what was I making for the festival. I sputtered and went on overdrive.

I remembered that my moms kitchen is busy at this time - the gujias my mom would make, along with sandesh or even naroo if fresh coconut was available.

Instead all I had were two bags of meyer lemons that I had greedily picked up on my last grocery trip. I had to make a quick decision and I decided to tackle two problems with one solution. Holi mithai and meyer lemons. I initially thought of a cake with lemon curd but swiftly changed my plans for something simpler.

I settled on lemon bars. I was kind of nervous attempting it just like lemon curd last year. And just like lemon curd, this is easy to make and super delicious.

I followed the Betty Crocker lemon bar recipe substituting lemons with meyer lemons. With meyer lemons the bars weren't as tart, and had a divine floral smell.




Here is the recipe.

Ingredients:

For base:
1 cup all purpose flour
1 stick or 1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup powdered sugar

For lemon filling:
1 cup granualted sugar
2 tspoon grated meyer lemon peel
2tbspoon lemon juice
1/2 tspoon baking poweder
1/4tspoon salt
2 eggs

Powdered sugar to dust

 Method:
Preheat the over to 350degF.

Sieve the flour and sugar together to remove any lumps. Now mix in the butter till a dough is formed. It will be soft. Now put the dough in a uniform layer in a baking pan.

Bake the crust for 20 minutes.

In the meantime, beat sugar and eggs together till foamy. Add the baking powder, salt and lemon juice and peel and beat for 2-3 minutes till it's all mixed and light.

Take the crust out and pour the lemon mix on top.

Bake for another 20-25 minutes.

16lemonbars
Cool and dust with powdered sugar. Cut into squares and enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than a decade now. We love to hear from you -- your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming.
Happy browsing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...