September 26, 2016

Aloo -Begun Diye Chingri Macher Jhol (Shrimp Curry With Potato And Eggplant)

Shrimp Curry With Potato And Eggplant

We were visiting friends for dinner, when one of them turned to me and said, "you know you should have a special place in the blog for all your father's recipe." All my friends know it. My father is a terrific cook. He picked it up a few years ago when he retired and has not looked back.

Vegetables, dals, chicken he can and does cook everything, but I think fish is his specialty. You can look at the the earlier recipes I've posted from his last visits - aloo potol diye chingri macher jhol, or pyanj tomato diye salmoner patla jhol.

This time, when my parents came I asked him what recipe he had in mind for chingri mach this time. He said he was going to make it with eggplants.

The Ann Arbor Farmer's Market has had a bumper of eggplants. Every week, for one dollar, I get a big, fresh eggplant that we then use for bharta, beguni or in macher jhol among other recipes.

So coming back to a special place. I hesitated as his and my mother's influence is in a lot of my cooking. It's little things I have picked up over the years. It may not be his recipe, but it may have some thing that I may have learned from him.
Plus, I have learned my lesson with Aswin's corner. It's not just a corner, it's us. So instead of a place, I let it permeate the overall blog as it already does.




Ingredients
12-14 raw shrimp, cleaned and deveined
3-4 medium potatoes - chopped into small cubes
1 large eggplant - chopped into small cubes  
1- medium onion - chopped thinly
2 green chilies - slit and take out the seeds (you can keep the seeds if you want more heat)
1 red chillie
2 garlic cloves
1- small ginger - grated into about 1/2 teaspoon
1 medium tomato - chopped small
½ tspoon cumin seeds
½ tspoon cumin powder
½ teaspoon coriander powder
4-5 tbspoon oil
1 tspoon chopped cilantro
Salt to taste

Method:

Add oil in a saucepan and saute the potatoes for 4-5 minutes till they start to turn golden. Set it aside. Next saute the eggplant cubes for 4-5 minutes. Then saute the shrimps (rubbed in salt and turmeric) for another 3-4 minutes. 

Now add the rest of the oil and saute the onions for 2-3 minutes. Then add the garlic, ginger, green chillies and tomatoes and let it cook for another 3-4 minutes till the water disappears.
Take it off the heat cool. Then grind it  into a paste. 

Add the last 2 tspoons oil in the pan and temper it with red chilly, and cumin seeds. Then add the paste, cumin and coriander powder and the vegetables. Add one and half cup water and let it cook for 2-3 minutes. Now add the shrimp, salt to taste and let it cook for another 7-9 minutes   till the shrimp, potatoes and eggplant is cooked. 

Shrimp Curry With Potato And Eggplant


Add the cilantro and the chingri macher jhol is ready to be served. Serve with hot rice.

4 comments:

  1. It's so tempting..We do prawns with many vegetables, but making with eggplant is new to me,will try this

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great, I tried this recipe and came out very well and tasty.

    I have found an interesting recipe on an Indian website which I would like to share with everyone else: http://quickindianrecipes.com/recipe/veg-manchurian-recipe/

    www.quickindianrecipes.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks good, should be good to eat
    kitchen faucet

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than a decade now. We love to hear from you -- your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming.
Happy browsing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...