January 27, 2017

Pikachu birthday cookies

Pokemon cookies


Pikachu, Charmander, Bunnelby and the list goes on. These names were alien to me just a year ago and now I hear them non stop as Lil A debates their power, damage and strengths. In case you were wondering, they are all Pokemon characters and Lil A is into collecting Pokemon cards.

Pokemon cookiesIt all started last summer when a couple of his older friends gave him a few Pokemon cards and he was hooked. Slowly he figured out the trading part. He was so excited when he got his first EX card. Yes, it is supposed to be a big deal!

So when his birthday rolled by, I decided to surprise him with some Pokemon cookies. I ordered a few Pokemon cutters and got to work. As this was a school treat, I decided to minimize glazing.

I put some food color in the cookie dough and just colored the eyes and mouth with sugar and food color mix.

It made the impact I was hoping it would make. Lil A was all excited and he and his friends enjoyed the treats.

Here is a small trick I learned with this cookie. For best results, refrigerate the dough before putting it in the oven as well.

Here is how I did it.



Ingredients:
(Each makes about 15 cookies)

Pikachu (yellow) dough
3 cups of all purpose flour
2 sticks (8oz of butter)
1 1/2 cups of sugar
pinch of cinnamon powder
1/2 tspoon salt
1 1/2 tspoon baking powder
1 egg
1 tspoon vanilla
6-8 drops of yellow food color
Charmander (red) dough 
3 cups of all purpose flour
2 sticks (8oz of butter)
1 1/2 cups of sugar
pinch of cinnamon powder
1/2 tspoon salt
1 1/2 tspoon baking powder
1 egg
1 tspoon vanilla
6-8 drops of red food color

Method:
Pokemon cookiesCombine flour, salt, baking powder, cinnamon and cardamom. I like to sieve it once to get it all smooth.

Cream the butter and sugar together for 4-5 minutes till it turns creamy.

Add in the egg and vanilla and mix again. Then add the flour. At this point I like to use my hands to get the dough together. Don't overmix. Once it's all together, make it in a disc shape and chill.

I chilled it for about a couple of hours and then rolled it out on some flour. Cut with Pikachu and Charmander cookie cutters and put it on parchment paper on a baking tray.

Now refrigerate the cut cookie dough for atleast half-an hour before putting it in the oven.

Preheat the oven to 350 degF and bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes. One trick to keeping it soft - don't let the entire cookie turn brown. Look for the edge, once they start to turn brown, time to take the cookies out.
Pokemon cookies
Let it cool before coloring it. For colors, I made the red and the black colors with food color, sugar and water. I was using it sparingly and didn't need much. For white, I had some leftover from Christmas time and was able to use them.

Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than a decade now. We love to hear from you -- your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming.
Happy browsing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...