April 13, 2017

Gajar matar er tarkari - carrot and peas

Carrot and peas curry


Aswin went to India in February for a short visit. While he was at my parents place, my mom made the gajar-matar er tarkari for dinner. A staple that is made during the winter months with the red carrots that are available during the season with simplest of phorons (tempering) and served with hot rotis.

You know where this is going. Aswin loved it so much that I was on the phone asking my mom the recipe.

I didn't have the red carrots, but I made it immediately with the orange ones available here. One bite and it took me straight back to the cold winters, when one is covered in a shawl constantly drawing the edges closer, the fog of the cold winter washing by as the auto whizzes through a street still waking up. And in the bag in the lap is a tiffin-box packed with parathas and this sabji.

Carrot and peas curry

That's the power of taste, and memories embedded somewhere deep inside.

Ingredients:
(serves 3-4)
5-6 carrots chopped small
1 cup peas (I used frozen ones)
2-3 tbspoon oil
1/4 tspoon asafoetida (hing)
3/4 tspoon cumin seeds
2 green chillies
1/2 tspoon grated ginger
salt to taste
cilantro (optional) - if I have it handy I add it or I serve without it.

Method:
I chop and boil the carrots to reduce the cooking time. Just 3-minutes in the microwave does the trick.

 Heat oil in a pan and temper it with asafoetida, and then add the cumin seeds and green chillies. Saute for a minute before adding the grated ginger.

Then add the carrots and peas (if the carrots are not boiled, add the carrots first till they are half-done before adding the peas).

Saute it well. Add salt, about a cup of water and let it cook for another 5-6 minutes till the carrots and peas are done and the water is absorbed.

17-carrot1


Serve warm. I served it with rice and a warm dal. It goes well with rotis and parathas as well.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent article and mouthwatering food shots. We look forward for more articles from you.

    For all foodies based out of Mumbai do download Mangaaoo | Food Ordering and Delivery App and choose from a wide range of restaurants and cuisine.

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than a decade now. We love to hear from you -- your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming.
Happy browsing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...